This US Open seemed to bring around some exciting and promising qualifiers.
I'm wondering which qualifier impressed everyone the most.
1) Rebecca Marino: The tall Canadian has a big serve and an all-around powerful game. She beat Pervak in R1 and pushed Venus pretty hard in the second round (7-6, 6-3).
2) Mandy Minella: Powerful would not be the way to describe Mandy's game. However she fought well, had a good attitude, and her presence on court caught the attention of many. Lost in the third round to Venus after taking out Pironkova and Hercog.
3) Mirjana Lucic: We all know of Lucic. But I think many were impressed and quite pleasantly surprised that the big-hitting Croatian made it to the second round where she took a set off the #4 seed Jelena Jankovic.
4) Monica Niculescu: An unconventional player who may or may not deserve the label of 'junk-baller.' In her first round she drew Victoria Azarenka and became the first Romanian to take a set from Vika. The last time they played she was double-bagelled and she somehow was able to turn that around and take the second set 7-5. Could this be a sign of improvement? Bad draw, but I think that Monica has a good upside.
5) Other: Who else impressed you?neon restaurant signMines