HomeSearchRegisterLog inAnnouncement
Current Time

Announcement
Latest topics
» : “MAYOR JENNY A. BARZAGA 2nd Table Tennis Cup 2011"
Australia to hold referendum recognising Aborigines I_icon_minitimeby cleamaes Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:20 pm

» 4Videosoft DVD to ipad suite helps you to rip DVD rapidly
Australia to hold referendum recognising Aborigines I_icon_minitimeby skygirl Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:42 pm

» Real estate market paralyzed as giants fall into insolvency
Australia to hold referendum recognising Aborigines I_icon_minitimeby mrthought Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:54 pm

» Vietnam office rents to fall 7% in 2012, Jones Lang Lasalle says
Australia to hold referendum recognising Aborigines I_icon_minitimeby mrthought Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:53 pm

» Vietnam Struggles to Attract Foreign Property Investment
Australia to hold referendum recognising Aborigines I_icon_minitimeby mrthought Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:52 pm

Poll
What brand of blade do you use ?
Butterfly
Australia to hold referendum recognising Aborigines I_vote_lcap41%Australia to hold referendum recognising Aborigines I_vote_rcap
 41% [ 18 ]
Stiga
Australia to hold referendum recognising Aborigines I_vote_lcap18%Australia to hold referendum recognising Aborigines I_vote_rcap
 18% [ 8 ]
DHS
Australia to hold referendum recognising Aborigines I_vote_lcap5%Australia to hold referendum recognising Aborigines I_vote_rcap
 5% [ 2 ]
Donic
Australia to hold referendum recognising Aborigines I_vote_lcap14%Australia to hold referendum recognising Aborigines I_vote_rcap
 14% [ 6 ]
Yasaka
Australia to hold referendum recognising Aborigines I_vote_lcap7%Australia to hold referendum recognising Aborigines I_vote_rcap
 7% [ 3 ]
729 Friendship
Australia to hold referendum recognising Aborigines I_vote_lcap7%Australia to hold referendum recognising Aborigines I_vote_rcap
 7% [ 3 ]
JOOLA
Australia to hold referendum recognising Aborigines I_vote_lcap2%Australia to hold referendum recognising Aborigines I_vote_rcap
 2% [ 1 ]
Killerspin
Australia to hold referendum recognising Aborigines I_vote_lcap2%Australia to hold referendum recognising Aborigines I_vote_rcap
 2% [ 1 ]
Andro
 2% [ 1 ]
Xiom
 2% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 44
Affiliates
free forum

Australia to hold referendum recognising Aborigines

Go down 
AuthorMessage
lunamoonfang

Male
Number of posts : 144
Member of : vernlen.forumotion.com
Registration date : 2010-11-22

Australia to hold referendum recognising Aborigines Empty
PostSubject: Australia to hold referendum recognising Aborigines   Australia to hold referendum recognising Aborigines I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 21, 2010 5:56 pm

By Phil Mercer
BBC News, Sydney

Ms Gillard said efforts to help Aborigines could not succeed without greater respect and recognition
Continue reading the main story
Related stories

Notorious Aboriginal ghetto to be bulldozed
First Aboriginal MP for Australia
Aboriginal children 'starving'
Australia will hold a referendum on recognising its indigenous people in the constitution to improve conditions for its most disadvantaged community.

Prime Minister Julia Gillard said there was a "once-in-50-year opportunity" to harness public and parliamentary support for greater recognition.

The 550,000 Indigenous Australians make up 2.7% of the population.

They suffer disproportionately high rates of unemployment, imprisonment, drug abuse, alcoholism and disease.

'Change needed'
Ms Gillard, of the centre-left Labor party, said that practical efforts to help Australia's Aborigines and Torres Strait Islanders could not succeed without greater respect.

"The Australian constitution is the foundation document of our system of government, but it fails to recognise the special place of our first Australians," she said in a joint statement with the minister for indigenous affairs and the attorney-general.

"Constitutional recognition of Indigenous Australians is an important step towards building a nation based on strong relationships and mutual respect," she added.

"Recognition will demonstrate that we are a country that is united in acknowledging the unique and special place of our first peoples."

The referendum will ask the country to give constitutional recognition to indigenous people. It is unclear when the vote will take place.

Aboriginal leaders say a positive result would have a "dramatic effect" on the community's self-esteem.

Forty-four referendums have been held in Australia since 1901. Only eight have been passed.

offer compromise
Flooring in Louisville KY
Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Vernlen Table Tennis & Chess Club :: All About Table Tennis ::   :: General-
Jump to: